Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"I Impressed Myself With The Heads on Pikes"

I was cleaning out files that primarily held school work and notes when I found this gem inside. This picture hails from my sophomore year in high school and my first history class that explored one of my now favorite subjects, The French Revolution.  I threw away almost everything in those files. But, not this one. I'm keeping this one!
I think it's a downright outrage that I received half credit on this assignment. I think this drawing of the storming of the Bastille is simply genius. My drawing skills alone should have given me at least 8 out of 10. I must admit I impressed myself with the heads on pikes. The picture is so well rounded. Not only does one get a visual history lesson but, my speech bubbles really add another layer of authenticity. It's like you're almost there. I especially love the cannon in the bottom right hand corner saying, "Ka Pow."

I still disagree with my teacher's comment. She didn't like that I had one of my revolutionaries saying he wanted bread.  That was "unrelated to the storming of the Bastille," she noted. .. Okay, perhaps that wasn't there primary concern on July 14, 1789. But, bread had been scarce.... And I'm sure we've all been around people on a no-carb diet and know how cranky they can get. I'm also sure that storming a bastille is hard work. Maybe Jacques here, worked up an appetite. I stand by my piece!


No comments:

Post a Comment