Monday, September 5, 2011

Is it Summer or Fall? I'm Confused.

Its Labor Day weekend and I'm so pleased to have had an extra day off from work. On the news these past few days, they have repeatedly mentioned that this weekend marks the unofficial end to summer. However we still have about another two weeks before the actual end of the season. While we are all in a holding pattern in the wait for fall, I've been feeling as though I've been in this liminal position between seasons since the first of August.

At the beginning of the eighth month, I returned back to work in preparation for a new school year. The perks of summer were over and I was back to making my lunch and setting my alarm every night. This while people in my circle were still sleeping in and on vacation. I traded late nights, swimming and middle of the day visits with friends for new copy machines, GATE results and registrations.

The approach of fall has been evident in stores for awhile with the endless aisles of "Back to School" supplies. It was even present in my backyard with the fallen leaves everywhere needing to be raked and disposed of. Those leaves never stop coming! I've already received a few notes in the mail about Halloween Time at Disneyland. And fall decor has begun to make its way onto store shelves once again.

Meanwhile here in Southern California, it is still hot enough to wear tank tops and flip flops everywhere. On weekends I do my best to maintain my tan (tan for a freckly Irish girl,) that I achieved for my friend's wedding in July. And at night all the windows in the house are open and the fans are put to work.

Now school is back in session. The phones are constantly ringing, the tardy slips are being written and the health office is seldom empty. I already miss the ease of summer. I'm still finishing up my summer reading selection, still listening to the songs that became my soundtrack for the season and still laying on the chaise in the backyard.

While the ease of summer reading and music is still something that I'm trying to hold onto with a firm grasp, I'm slightly anxious for it to actually be autumn. I can't wait to wear a sweater outside and not die from heat exhaustion. I can't wait for the local pumpkin patch to open, to buy a Halloween costume for my dog and to walk down the street and hear the crunch of leaves below my feet. And although most people like to say that we don't have seasons in California, we So. Cal. girls have a terrific way of determining the change of seasons: The Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. When that arrives you know that fall is here and that I'm in autumnal heaven.

Long story short, I haven't decided whether or not it's more summer or fall right now. My entire summer was great: NKOTBSB concert, family fun at the Hollywood Bowl, a good book, and a great friend's wedding. While the relaxation is over and the temperatures are quite unpleasant, I'm eagerly awaiting : picking out pumpkins with friends, snuggly sweaters and the excitement over upcoming holidays.


My Summer Books:
El Dorado by Baroness Orczy (The sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel)
The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova (I'm about 150 pages from the end but, I love, love, love this book!!!!)

My Summer Soundtrack:
Don't Turn Out the Lights- NKOTBSB
Paris (Oh La La) - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Hot Summer Night- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Pause (Zumba Mix)- Pitbull
Run the World (Girls) - Beyonce
Streetwalker- Michael Jackson
Moves Like Jagger- Maroon 5

1 comment:

  1. I saw that the Pumpkin Spice Latte was back at Starbucks and automatically thought of you. LOL

    ReplyDelete