Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Crown Series Completed

The Crown Series

Have I mentioned how much I love staying home and painting??? It is amazing! I only wish I could make this my full time job. At any rate, the time I've had off from the restrictions of my day job, has allowed me to finish my short series of paintings, that I am not-so-creatively calling my, "Crown Series." Each painting was inspired by a well known queen.

Elizabeth I of England:
Elizabeth, aka my favorite historical figure, inspired the first canvas. Daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth transformed England from a bankrupt country to one of the wealthiest in the world. England's navy flourished under Elizabethan rule and defeated Spain's "Invincible Armada" in 1588.
"Young heads take example of the ancient."
"Elizabeth"
Marie Antoinette, Queen of France


Austrian princess Antione, arrived in France at the age of 14 where she began to be referred to by the more formal, Marie Antoinette. Shielded by the luxuries of Versailles, the French monarchy was out of touch with the struggles of it's people. Food shortages, high taxes and the newly independent U.S. set the stage for the French Revolution that ultimately claimed her life.
"Antoinette"

Isabella, Queen of Spain

Isabella and husband Ferdinand are most famous perhaps for funding Columbus's expeditions. But, they believed their most important feat was driving Muslims from the peninsula. Under her rule the Spanish Inquisition began as a way of purifying the faith, finding those who claimed to convert to Catholicism meanwhile still practicing their own faith in secret. 
"Isabella"
Mary, Queen of Scots

 


Due to the many marriages of Henry VIII, a failed alliance and the English Reformation, many believed that Mary Stuart, was the rightful heir to the English throne instead of her cousin, Elizabeth I. With the death of Mary's father occurring only days after her birth, she ascended to the position of "Queen of Scots," while still in infancy. Years later, Mary was suspected of being involved in the plot to kill her second husband. She fled to England and requested help from Elizabeth. Instead she was imprisoned. Mary was vital in the Catholic plot to assassinate Elizabeth and ultimately executed for her role.
"Mary"





The Crown Series

"Mary" detail

"Isabella" detail


1 comment:

  1. They all look good, though I think I like Isabella's best

    MH

    ReplyDelete